Wednesday, June 29, 2011

It's Been a While...

So, I've baked a lot since my last post, but I haven't updated this thing at all. I've made different cupcakes, cookie dough cheesecake, different cookies, pies, and who knows what else. All of those things that I have baked have been recipes posted by wonderful other bloggers. Soon, hopefully, I want to be able to create something without using a recipe. I'm sure whatever I come up with will have already been done, but I want to become more comfortable and experiment more in the kitchen! My latest creation was a step in that direction. I made S'more brownies! They started with a graham cracker crust, followed by brownie, and topped with marshmallows.

Graham Cracker Crust:
1.5 packages of (light) Graham Crackers
1 stick of butter, melted
1/3 c sugar

Brownie:
3 c sugar
1 c butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 eggs
1 1/2 c flour
1 c. cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
1 bag of chocolate chips
(Recipe from Allrecipes)

1/2 bag or so of mini marshmallows

Grease a 9x13 pan & preheat the oven to 350
I started by crushing the Graham Crackers into crumbs. I used a ziploc bag and a rolling pin. Then I mixed in the sugar and then the melted butter. Once that was mixed well I spread it evenly along the 9x13. I just tossed it in the fridge as I made the brownie batter. 

For the brownies, I mixed the sugar, butter, and vanilla extract together. Then, I mixed in the eggs one at a time. After that, I added the flour, cocoa powder and salt and mixed until blended. I love chocolate, especially milk chocolate, so I tossed in a whole bag of milk chocolate chips. I poured this on top of the graham cracker crust and put it in the oven.

It's supposed to bake for 35-40 minutes, and I knew that the marshmallows couldn't go on until it was closer to being done. So when it had what should have been 5-10 minutes left, I added marshmallows on top. I gently pressed down on the marshmallows to [theoretically] get them to be baked with the brownies and not just on top of them. However, when I went back to check on the brownies, they were no where close to being done. They took way longer than usual (10-15 minutes) and they probably could have stayed in the oven a little longer (but who doesn't love slightly undercooked and therefore gooey brownies!). I'm not sure if this was because of the new crust or the new marshmallow topping, or both...
 
Verdict: Erin (former (of recent) roommate): They were tasty, but didn't quite have that S'more taste to them.
Plate of the brownies. Despite the top looking like graham cracker, it's actually [overcooked] marshmallows. Photo courtesy of the best roommate ever




No comments:

Post a Comment